Wednesday, May 4, 2011

When Times Get Though

In my most recent tutoring experience, I suddenly became aware of not only how important it is to tailor your lessons to each student, but also to deal with the difficult students we don’t expect. As I was tutoring this international student, I recognized some of the typical characteristics we have studied in the session. Her paper lacked clear transitions and rarely possessed sentences that were analytical or connected her thoughts together. She was also reserved and was clearly embarrassed or less than pleased at having to ask for help. However, instead of being offended by her curt way of speaking or her serious demeanor, I was prepared for all these problems and was aware that her writing style and way of being were a reflection of both cultural differences and miscommunication. However, what I was not expecting was her unwillingness to work with me and her desire to have me do a lot of the work for her. As I worked with her, it slowly became clear that she had expected that I would not just provide advice, but would provide answers as well. At one point, when I was explaining to her that she needed to add more quotes and analysis, she said to me “I’m an international student, I don’t know how to do that.” Because the student was an ESL speaker, she not only didn’t have lots of confidence in her ability to write, but also thought that it was an excuse to allow me to do it for her. Although I was surprised, I continued with the session as best I could. I think that we often discuss the challenges we face as writing consultants with grammar, writing and commentary, but think it might also help us to keep the conversation going about how to deal with students when times get tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment